Monday, April 29, 2013

Aquinas Newman Center - University of New Mexico



 My first visit to a Newman Center was in 1970 when I was an undergraduate at the University of Washington. I was seldom attending Mass then. It wasn't that I had rejected Christianity just that I was ignoring my faith. Although I was a science major, I sampled courses in philosophy, anthropology, history and American literature and just didn't encounter mention of Christianity.  In lit classes we somehow didn't read Flannery O'Connor. I also wasn't aware of theology course offerings at UDUB. My Catholic undergrad friends never discussed their faith. Practicing Catholicism seemed inconvenient until I needed God's help. In 1970 I was devoting most of my study time to a very difficult organic chemistry class and was preparing to sit for the MCAT exam. I seemed to be unsure of my academic performance for the first time in my college life so I decided to attend Sunday Mass at the Newman Center for the purpose of requesting  the Lord's assistance in my study and exam efforts. The Newman Center Chapel was on the North side of campus on 17th street in the midst of fraternity row. What I remember about that service was how avidly the Newman Center Catholic students worshiped and enjoyed the celebration of the Mass. When I walked back to my dormitory I realized that I had lapsed in practicing my Catholic faith as an undergrad at the University of Washington. The following week I received the sacraments of Reconciliation and the Eucharist. In large measure owing to my Newman Center experience, I committed myself to a more active prayer and sacramental life for the remainder of that academic year. Returning to my Catholic faith returned to me a sense of confidence and optimism about my remaining academic goals that year.
The concept of Newman Centers was inspired by the British theologian and convert to Catholicism, Blessed John Henry Newman, who wrote in the 1800's that "religious truth is not only a portion, but a condition of general knowledge." His inspiration led to the founding of the first Newman Club at Oxford University in1888. The initial Newman Club and all subsequent Newman Centers have provided Catholic ministries to Roman Catholics on non-Catholic University campuses. Christians of other denominations have always been welcomed to attend services. In addition to Catholic liturgies, a variety of university and parish related social events take place at the Newman Centers.
The Aquinas Newman Center at the University of New Mexico was established on Las Lomas Road on UNM's campus in 1950 and the current chapel was built in 1954. The lounge and meeting hall were built in 1957. Dominicans were recruited to serve as clergy for the Newman Center at UNM when it opened and fulfill that role today. The Newman center has been recognized as a parish of the Archdiocese of Santa Fe and currently serves more than 1000 families in addition to UNM students, staff and faculty. The parish mission statement says that the primary mission of the Newman Center is to "embody Christian principles through cooperative ministry with the academic community and alumni of the University of New Mexico". The Newman Center also houses the Dominican Ecclesiastical Institute, which seeks to promote Catholic intellectual life in the tradition of the Dominican order, through public discourse and media offerings. The DEI sponsors the bi-monthly Catholic Business Forum, offers Catholic theology education as well as media resources for exploring the Catholic faith. The Newman Center also maintains a theology library open to its parishioners and the university community.
The Sunday evening Mass I attended at the University of New Mexico Newman Center was specifically targeted to the student community. The chapel was packed, predominantly with students.  There was an excellent student choir conducted by the Newman's Center director of music. Students also served as acolytes and lectors. The announcements at the end of the Mass included information on a future baccalaureate Mass and an upcoming John Angotti concert at the Newman Center. I was impressed with how enthusiastically the students participated in the liturgy, both in prayers and in song. They seemed to be a very committed Catholic community, excited about their faith. When I left the UNM Newman Center I experienced a deja vu to that evening 40 plus years ago, when I attended Mass at the Newman Center near the University of Washington campus. Again I felt reinvigorated to practice my Catholic Christian faith and hopeful for the future. I encourage Catholic pilgrims, particularly Catholic university students to visit the Newman Center, an oasis of spirituality within the University of New Mexico campus - definitely a place to reconnect to one's Catholic faith.
For a Newman Center Promo vimeo click on

Newman Promo Video on Vimeo

vimeo.com/20104379



For information on the Aquinas Newman Center at UNM click on

Aquinas Newman Center - Home - Albuquerque

www.aquinasnm.org/




 
                                                                                                                            

 
  
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment