Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Starting the Pilgrimage

Welcome to New Mexico Catholic Pilgrimage. I have chosen this blog title to reflect my own journey into the history, culture and places of  Catholicism in New Mexico this new year. I'm well aware of the importance of pilgrimage to the Catholic tradition of this state. During holy week before Easter, one can see the pilgrims walking along the highways from as far south as Las Cruces (some 300 miles) to Santuario de Chimayo in the northern part of this state. In the chapel itself, one finds the crutches and canes nailed to the walls, signifying Christ's curative grace in this place. There appear to be many paths to the Catholic faith tradition  within this state, some very public such as joining the walk to Santuario de Chimayo, others more private such as meeting daily in small groups to say the rosary or singularly offering adoration when the Blessed Sacrament is on display in Catholic churches. In all of these settings, the Catholic faith beckons us to join in. My goal and task will be to search out and join the Catholic community of New Mexico in its diverse celebrations of faith during this" Year of the Faith". I will attempt to record these experiences as authentically and insightfully as I'm able. Like other pilgrims I will invite conversation and guidance from those along the way. I will also invite comments from any readers. The quest, of course, will be to enrich my own faith on this journey. Please join me on this pilgrimage.  
    For more information on the pilgrimage to Santuario de Chimayo click on  www.newmexicohistory.org/filedetails.php?fileID=505

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rob! The links worked for me on all three of your postings. Viv

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. Mr. Galagan,The photo of pilgrimage is amazing picture! I wish we can use this photo for our Church /Community Newsletter cover image. Would you give us a permission to use? Kyong Lee, Editor of the Voice in The Wilderness, New Mexico. E-Mail: voiceofnm@gmail.com voiceofnm.kumcabq.com

    ReplyDelete